facebook twitter pinterest instagram youtube bloglovin
 photo toppost.png

Sunday 27 March 2016

Happy Easter!


Happy Easter! One of my favourite days of year that's laden with lots of meaning, colour, food, family time and, of course, chocolate. Like every year I always over indulge and end up feeling like I have to wait a week before everything is digested! The little chocolate layered cakes below were made by my grandma, which are a specialty of hers. I really need to get the recipe off her because they are amazing.


Every Easter, I myself like to bake something new and chocolaty. This year, I decided to make the chunky chocolate and raspberry cookies (which you can find in my previous post, here) and a chocolate flourless cake (if you scroll down you will find the recipe for this deliciously rich cake). I love themed homeware pieces, such as this cute Easter theme cookie jar, which I served the cookies in.

 

I also couldn't resist purchasing these miniature bunnies (alongside my cookie jar, Easter theme mug and bunny tea cups), all of which I got from Bed, Bath and Table


Of course, I received plenty of chocolate, my favourite being the Gold Lindt Bunny. I actually had a dream the other night that I had broken one of these bunny's into pieces, ate it and then cried because I had I forgotten to take a photo of it beforehand for my blog?!


A fun tradition we do in my family is dye boiled eggs and decorate them with Easter themed stickers. After we're all full and sleepy we play a game whereby everyone gets an egg and then we crack them against other peoples. If you're egg doesn't break then you're the winner. I never win!


Also, I have eaten soo many hot cross buns this past month, which I like to have with Nutella or crunchy peanut butter. I need these all year round.


Chocolate Flourless Cake

Ingredients:
255g of good quality dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1 cup (225g) butter
1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
1 tsp almond extract
1 1/4 cup (250g) granulated (caster) sugar
1 1/2 cups of almond meal
6 medium sized eggs at room temperature

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 160*C (310*F) and line the bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan with baking paper.
2. Over a double-boiler, slowly melt the chocolate and butter.
3. In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk together the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, almond extract and sugar until combined.
4. Add the almond meal and whisk until combined.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, waiting until each egg is combined within the mixture before adding the next one.
6. Pour the mixture into the pan. Smooth the top and level it by gently tapping it against a flat surface.
7. Bake the cake between 30-50 minutes, depending on your oven. Mine was done in 30 minutes.

The cake will rise and then flatten once out of the oven. The centre of the cake should be moist and dense once it cools. I like to serve it with a dusting of icing sugar, cream, chocolate ganache and fresh strawberries. As it was Easter, I made a bed of flaked white chocolate to resemble a little nest and topped it with mini Easter eggs. 


Overall, I had a lovely Easter and I wish you all the same. I'd love to hear about your Easter traditions or treats, let me know about them in the comments section below.

Kristina xx

2 comments:

  1. Wow love the pics. Sounds like you had a great Easter. We did the usual egg hunt and decorated some eggs. Have a great week.

    Xoxo,
    Geri

    Everydaylivingnyc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D It was a lovely day, I love easter egg hunts I haven't done in aages! Have a nice week too :) xx

      Delete

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme